February 16th, 2006

Syracuse talk

The pride of Syracuse, Jason Stanley is coming home to do a talk at S.U. next Friday at 3.30pm in the philosophy department. The title is “Meaning, Use and Truth”. If I was doing the talk I would have rearranged the second and third conjuncts for historical resonance.

This entry was posted on Thursday, February 16th, 2006 at 1:37 pm and is filed under Uncategorized. You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

13 Responses to “Syracuse talk”

1. Branden Fitelson says:

THE pride of Syracuse”? That may be an infelicitous definite description…

Well, remember that I’m Zoltan’s colleague :)

3. Branden Fitelson says:

…touché.

4. Richard Zach says:

Wait, why is Jason the pride of Syracuse? Is he from there?

Yep, and he’s not the only first-rate young philosopher from there (as this thread suggests).

6. Jason Stanley says:

Branden,

You are (may I remind you) from JAMESVILLE-DEWITT, the upscale suburb of Syracuse. In contrast, I am actually from Syracuse (as is Chris Kutz). As I recall, I used to steal your lunch money.

7. Jason Stanley says:

…In addition to Branden Fitelson and Christopher Kutz, Syracuse has also produced the political philosopher Peter Levine at the University of Maryland (though Brandon and I graduated high school in the same year, as well as being from the same city)…maybe we should have a conference of Syracuse-produced philosophers…

8. Branden Fitelson says:

Jason,

I confess to having a slightly more liberal way of understanding “of Syracuse”. But, I take it, we can agree on the “pride” part! And, now that you mention it, you do owe me a few quarters…

-B

9. Branden Fitelson says:

I forgot to say thanks to Brian for his kind implicature!

-B

10. Alva Noe says:

Did all the children of Syracuse faculty gang up on kids from the suburbs? or only Jason? Did they get their folks to drive them out to the suburbs for the purpose? Just curious.

—Alva

11. Chris says:

Except Branden is also the offspring of a Syracuse faculty member, right?

12. Branden Fitelson says:

My dad was in the physics department for several years, before moving to the private sector (and — alas — the suburbs). So, yes, I too was a faculty brat for a few years there (before Jason started stealing my lunch money).

13. Jason Stanley says:

To be fair to Branden, there actually isn’t much difference between the city of Syracuse and its suburbs…I don’t even recall there being a need to be driven out there in order to steal lunch money…one could walk.